Sunday, July 14, 2013

CLICK TO SAVE


CLICK TO SAVE
DRESCHER & ANDERSON

Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It's about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen. There are people who consciously practice being authentic, there are people who don't, and there are the rest of us who are authentic on some days and so authentic on other days. (D&A, 34)

I thought this was an interesting passage. I’m not sure I agree with all of it. I think I would frame authenticity as a necessary element of our every choice as opposed to “a collection of choices.” Also --- “some days authentic and some days not” is odd phrasing to me. I recognize the point they were attempting to make but I don’t think we can address the topic with one big paintbrush making one large stroke across a community canvas.

Sometimes I think authenticity has a great deal to do with safety. If one feels safe to share their authentic self then they will do so. If one grew up in an environment where it was not safe to be authentic --- a great deal of training & repetition will need to occur prior to them being able to transition into a more authentic communication style.

Sometimes I suspect I am too authentic. Not a great deal of energetic shift in the way I engage a professor, classmate, friend or new acquaintance. Is this a good thing or could it be labeling me as someone who does not possess a professional veneer necessary to thrive in the business world. I am under no illusions that churches are businesses as well as communities of faith . . .

I am going to have to give the semantics of authenticity some more thought. As I stated in class I am INFP and highly intuitive --- so I access in my gut and don’t really “think” about authenticity.

Soooo . . . this is me authentically sharing that I have to STOP doing Homework for the class that ended Friday and begin focusing on homework for the class that starts tomorrow J!

PEACE BE WITH YOU ALL!!!





3 comments:

  1. Is there really any such thing as being "too authentic"? For Western "enlightened" thinkers in the business world this may be considered true, but to the bulk of humanity, I wonder if authenticity is not valued? Jesus was authentic, rebellious, and continually challenging the status quo, and if we were to really follow his teachings, what would the world be like? Personally, I wish all the world were "too authentic" - it would make honest communication a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief girl! Another class?!? I'm toast after the ones we shared. Best of luck to you. And I authentically mean that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thoughts as usual, friend. I think we can shift between being truly authentic and I agree with you that it does have to do with safety. I am a pretty open person in general, but there are things that I only do/say when I am with my people.

    Then my mind wanders and I think, am I authentic online? I hold back things because it's a public form despite all my privacy settings. I wonder, if there is a difference between being authentic online and being authentic in person.... Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete