Monday, July 8, 2013

GOSPEL COLLAGE


GOSPEL COLLAGE
3 WORDS
3 IMAGES

Today I enjoyed creating the 3 word, 3 image collage about the GOSPEL. I tend to think in images rather than words so this type of creative endeavor is always energizing for me. Alfredo, Kirimi and I made three different collages simply because we were enjoying the creative process and found so many words and photos that (for us) embodied the GOSPEL.

The 3 images I chose were a swimming turtle in the ocean, a rose and a mountain range. I chose these images because they demonstrate that the GOSPEL relates to the entirety of creation --- the land & sea and all creatures great and small.

My experience thus far at STM is that we address the GOSPEL as it pertains to human interaction. We begin our learning at this school with the course Christian Anthropology, heavily layered with the writings of Karl Rahner who professes we (humans) are the intended receivers of God's written word – a notion he often correlates with “what it means to be human.” I found Rahner's writing to be poignant and forward thinking. I have found my education at STM to rich and rewarding as well. However I find myself longing for a curriculum that embraces the GOSPEL scripture as it relates to the entirety of creation. One that addresses the images I placed in my collage and our responsibilities as people of faith to care for our global community. My feeling is, as Christians, we need to address more than God's promise of salvation to us through the death and resurrection of his son Jesus Christ. Part of our role as leaders in communities of faith should be encouraging the care of our planet as part of our Christian identity.

I found it intriguing that the other groups created collages that included human engagement with animals. Perhaps my classmates have similar feelings regarding my planetary concerns and our role as Christians to treat it with the same care and compassion God calls us to treat each other with. I love the image of the dolphin and human connecting physically in the water. I also loved the image of the butterfly and my classmate Jaime's assertion that a butterfly is the ultimate symbol of transformation, as it first exists as a caterpillar.

I look forward to continued learning this week as we continue to share words and images . . .

3 comments:

  1. I like the Turtle Picture. It's Deep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the turtle picture too. I resonate with the idea of the gospel being more that just for us. That was the initial impetus for my choosing the dolphin picture... that tender gentle touch of the diver. I also think there is an element of endangerment (and danger itself too) in the gospel. Jesus' message was rare and the gospel needs us to act to continue to live out it's fullness. That endangerment of the gospel makes me scared for the life of humanity... for it's vibrance and vitality. But the work to care for it like the work of an endangered species is a labor of love and well worth the efforts for the fruits. Bless you, Mia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the creative process in bringing our ideas into a pictorial representation of the Gospel. I believe that the Gospel message is addressed to all creation not only to human creatures. The Gospel proclaims justice for all. Injustice starts when we forget the sacred dimension of our planet and therefore of its inhabitants. Injustice happens when we think of the planet as an unlimited and abundant resource to be exploited instead of thinking of our planet as a sacred organism. Injustice happens when we think that the whole universe is only for our personal benefit and we are here to exercise dominion over it. So, the Gospel message if for all creation.

    ReplyDelete