Tuesday, July 9, 2013

YouTube

Michael Wesch's video An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube was intriguing. I was struck the message of human connectivity. The platform of YouTube was described as a celebration of a new form of community. This was illustrated by Gary B. as the “first person on the global dance floor” of a video that inspired millions of viewers to create variations on the theme and join the world party. This was a fun and whimsical demonstration of how far reaching this new form of media travels. But it was the stories of connectivity on a very personal level of human vulnerability that struck me as significant.

The gentleman at the end of the video who lost his son to SIDS said he used YouTube not as a means of “changing the world but as a tool that helped him to live in the world.” His inability to connect (one on one) in human engagement was supplemented by the catharsis he found in becoming different characters and remaining connected to the world through media. He described himself as living in a mediascape that helped bring life to him again.

As a person who is seeking ordination and will likely enter into a leadership role in a faith community I cannot ignore the healing properties that social media are bringing to individuals and communities. The IT GETS BETTER social media campaign demonstrated the same healing principle. It was a message of inclusivity and HOPE to young people who may feel disenfranchised from their small community because they are members of the LGBTQ community but do not have a culture that supports them.

If a message from an artist, athlete, songwriter or rock-star can give hope to an individual who feels hopeless --- then social media has a healing power that should not be ignored. Those of us who seek to deliver God's message of LOVE, HOPE and PEACE to humanity should not ignore the changing landscape of how to connect with our fellow man.

This video by Michael Wesch challenged my bias that YouTube is simply a new form of mindless entertainment. I have experienced a shift in my perspective and am looking forward to learning new ways I can connect with my current faith community . . .

6 comments:

  1. The video called me too! Except for watching video links or finding Happy Birthday songs for friends, I never really thought of YouTube as a community and a place of healing. YouTube isn't a social media platform that draws me in, but I have a new found respect for it as a source of social media.

    I especially loved that YouTube gives people a voice that may not be heard without it. Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, thanks for the beauty and joy you radiate! Your words show the depth of the character that is the foundation of who you are, especially as you note how finding solace during grief is not a process that can be molded or shaped. Each of us will confront grief in our life, and as we recognize and celebrate the uniqueness of every individual, it should come as no surprise that some will find comfort in the digital world. I know that for me, there are certain songs and singers that I associate with my grief and that when I listen to an audio track or watch a music video, I am comforted. I honor you for being willing to meet each person where they are. Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was moved by the presentation as well. It's amazing to really take in the impact that YouTube has had on our culture and that presentation was made 5 years ago. What has changed since then and what changes do we have to look forward to? This is why I believe as faith leaders we need to continue to grow and embrace technology for the purpose of sharing our faith. Just like your passion to disenfranchised students...some of the best ways to reach people is to find the platform they're on and meet them there. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This video...challenged my bias that YouTube is simply a new form of mindless entertainment." You and me both, sister. I haven't dropped my rocks, but I've definitely stopped throwing them!! It's with more than a little humility that I have to move my thinking on YouTube to an increasingly large file in my head labeled "Huh..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allow me to join in with you and Jaime and Loran highlighting the need to meet people where they are. And I think I mean that more literally when referring to YouTube now than I did before seeing this video. Watching the emokids and the lonely girl stories made me think of "real emokids" and "lonely girls"... the kind that the It Gets Better movement addresses itself to. These are people who are calling out for connection and we, Christians, have a mission to answer that call. To show that we love them and that God loves them. ... Now, how we go about doing that is something your post has me pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was shockingly very impacted by the it gets better video. As a gay man I often feel like I should be use these sentiments of things getting better. However, as the video played on I found myself on the verge of tears as I thought about the hope that this video would give to the countless young and old people who are struggling with difficult circumstances concerning their sexuality. Social media give these individuals hope whether they are in the closet or shouting it from the roof tops. I pray that one day we will not need this video, until that time.... I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete