Wednesday, July 10, 2013

GOD HAPPENS WHEN HUMANITY IS CONNECTED

I enjoyed the four videos we watched this morning. I applaud the creativity and freedom of expression displayed in all. The video I found the most provocative was the one by the gentlemen who proclaimed his religion to be the internet. If I had heard that phrase, “The internet is my religion” out of context I would have found it t be both alarming and disturbing. Having heard it in conjunction with “God is what happens when humanity is connected” – I found the phrase to be full of Christian unity. I thought the speakers suggestion that “we all have the same cross to bear because we all owe our lives to countless people we will never meet” to be significant. It was a concept that resonated with me, especially when the speaker mentioned the military as an example. We owe our lives to those who serve in the military ---- who protect our country and the freedoms it promises.

Yet again I find myself thinking about global media in a new way. The idea that the speaker was alive today because his surgeon responded to a slew of emails was remarkable. The use of the worldwide web for medical advancements is something I had not previously considered. It is possible that cancer could be cured by a team of scientists who live on different continents but can now work collaboratively. AMAZING when you begin to consider the possibilities.

I have not been able to fully process the entirety of the content presented in the 4 videos we viewed this morning. But I am profoundly aware that we are all in debt to each other, we are all connected and media is an avenue of connection that I will continue to journey on . . .

1 comment:

  1. Not being a media heavy family, and quite honestly resenting how much time I have to spend sitting in front of a computer instead of being with my kids, I have not really taken to hear the "good stuff" in media. During this class however I have really paid attention to how much I appreciate the links certain friends post on Facebook. Amazing things I would never have found. Shamantube, for example, posts such beautiful art that I cannot image some of these images leaving my life - and I am NOT an art person. All of this in combination with the clips we have watched in class, particularly the religion verses Jesus clip really makes me think about how my son and I communicate by sending each other youtube links of music. As he moves further and further into adolescence, what else could media allow him a way to connect with me, himself and his community? The Waldorf parent body will fall off their chairs when I walk through the door next fall!
    I would also add that part of the reason I feel this way is because I now know that I can hold my spiritual integrity within my media presence. Tensegrity rocks.

    ReplyDelete